RAIN Ride 2018, TNR style:
Ride Across Indiana (RAIN), sponsored by the Bloomington Bicycle Club, is Saturday, July 21. For those not yet exposed to such lunacy and numbing endurance, the ride is 160 eastbound miles across Indiana rolling from St Mary of the Woods College in Terre Haute to Earlham College in Richmond. It is a timed event; not a race. But while many TNR members ride it, some choose to race it.
RAIN is a goal event for many for good reasons. It has good support, is an amazing accomplishment, and adds a feather to your cycling cap. TNR has veteran and first-time RAIN riders embracing the challenge of this endurance event. We will organize into riding groups similar to Tue/Thur night training ride groups.
RAIN registration is open. Please follow the "Event Registration" link and ensure that you register for the actual event. The club underwrites part of your event expenses.
This is a a CHALLENGING ride and it takes its toll on rider and machine. Proper training, fueling preparation, acclimation, sleep and hydration are a must. The Three Reservoirs ride is a good training ride leading up to RAIN. Teamwork is a definite plus for this event and this is TNRs 11th year participating in RAIN as a team!
To that end, Team Nebo Rige is again offering a TNR RAIN package that resolves almost all logistics issues for you. It’s not door-to-door, but it is shop-to-shop. Included is:
- Transportation from Nebo Ridge Bicycles to Le Fer Hall, St. Mary of the Woods College, Terre Haute, for you, your bike, and a small personal bag/duffle
- Expedited check-in as we will arrange for group check-in
- Single or double room dorm lodging at Le Fer Hall (we have a room block at the dorm and will book your room for you so that we are all together). Lodging at the dorm includes Saturday morning breakfast and our transportation is literally parked out front to stow your bag, inflate your tires, and organize into the riding groups in the morning
- Private Friday night team dinner at St. Mary’s Supper Club (libations are self-paid)
- SAG vehicles that will transport your small bag and leapfrog the riding groups meeting you at some of the designated RAIN rest stops (and haul you and your bike to the finish if you’ve simply had enough) then meet you at Earlham College (the finish line) where you can load your bike and go take a shower
- Transportation back to Nebo Ridge Bicycles (return time is dependent upon rider finishing time as each van will return as it has a sufficient load of riders)
We’ll meet at Nebo Ridge Bicycles Friday afternoon (July 20th) to load gear and drive to Terre Haute as a group. After checking-in and unloading all the gear, we’ll walk the short distance to dinner for a 7:00 pm meal, talk smack and strategize for Saturday morning. Afterwards, walk back to the dorm, prep, and rest.
Saturday morning, you'll turn in your key, meet at the vans to toss in your gear, get organized into our riding groups, and roll down the hill to queue for the ride.
Tentative plans are for three riding groups (dependent on sign-ups):
TNR Racing Across Indiana: Plan is to start together and ride non-stop. All logistics the same for this group except that the riders will arrange their own rider support for the actual ride instead of utilizing the TNR vans. Performance at race level.
Killer B level: Start together and re-group at first or second SAG. Short breaks at designated SAGs and lunch. Performance at Killer B level collecting any team riders from group one that get shelled off.
Honey B level: Start together and re-group at first SAG. Short breaks at SAGs and lunch. Performance at Honey B level collecting any team members you encounter.
If you want to go with the team, PAY NOW to guarantee your spot. We have limited passenger and bike capacity as well as a limited number of single and double rooms! We will “sell” spots first come first serve. Guarantees are based upon receipt of paid TNR package fees. Don’t miss out or find yourself scrambling to make alternative arrangements. Some of us have ridden RAIN with independent SAG support before; the TNR logistics package is definitely the way to go!
Team Nebo Ridge makes a significant contribution towards this event and sign-ups are open first to TNR members. Non-members are welcome if spots remain. Cost of the 2018 TNR package is as follows:
Member w/double room: $120
Member w/single room: $135
Non-member w/double room: $160
Non-member w/single room: $180
If you are riding RAIN but not taking the TNR Package, please also sign-up (for free) so that we'll know you're going and may watch for you at the event.
Please don't forget to also complete your rider registration for RAIN (see provided link on the TNR calendar).